Firefly Farms, 96 Button Road, North Stonington, CT 06359
Email: email@example.com Phone: 860.917.7568
The Firefly Bar
Created by Allena Tillman-Brown of Firefly Farms
For the shortbread crust
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup salted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
5-7 sprigs of fresh rosemary chopped
1 cup oven baked, skillet crisped Firefly Farms bacon
For the lemon layer
4 large farm fresh eggs
2 large egg yolk
2 cup white sugar
Splash of vanilla
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar, or to taste
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 1 hourish
Ready In 1 h 40 m (depends on your oven and preferences)
- Oven bake the Firefly Farms bacon at 400 F until nice and crispy. You may want to flip over the bacon so that it will be evenly crisp on both sides. Let cool so you can safely handle it.
- Place an oven rack into middle position in oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Place flour and butter in a mixing bowl and mash with the back of a spatula or wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Mix in confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, and salt; mash mixture together until mixture looks like a slightly crumbly cookie dough.
- Chop up the cooled bacon and put it in a skillet on medium heat to crisp it up more. Pour it and the bacon grease into the shortbread mix along with the chopped rosemary. Mix in until evenly dispersed throughout the dough.
- Moisten your fingers with a little water and press dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Use a fork to prick holes all over the crust.
- Bake crust on center rack in the preheated oven until golden brown which is about 25 minutes. You want the shortbread nearly baked to perfection before the next step.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl; whisk in white sugar, vanilla, and flour until smooth. Add lemon juice and lemon zest; whisk for 2 minutes. Pour lemon custard over crust.
- Bake on center rack until custard is set and top has a thin white sugary crust, 25 minutes for soft custard and 30 for harder set. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Dip knife into very hot water, run around the edge, and cut into 16 squares. Dust cookies with 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar.