This stew is quite tasty and dependent on how many people you are cooking for and how meaty you want the stew, quantities are dependent on your personal preferences.
- Firefly Farms Stewing Beef or Chuck Beef
- Pearl Barley
- Red Wine
- Beef Stock cubes
- Flavor to taste with: Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Sage, and Marjoram
- Trim stewing beef of excess fat and chunk it into small pieces.
- Put on a large pot of water and dissolve the stock cubes in accordance with their directions.
- Put in the red wine. (You can add more later)
- DO NOT put meat into already boiling water since it will cook too quickly and be tough. Lower the temperature to a simmer before adding the beef chunks.
- Add onions, spices, and let cook.
- Add carrots, turnips, barley, and mushrooms.
- Add milk to thicken as desired (you can also mix a roux if you want a thicker stew)
- Best if made early and allowed to simmer for a long time which is about 5 hours.